Welcome and introduction
- Professor David Ormerod QC – Chairperson Professor of Criminal Justice, University College London
- The Right Honourable Lord Justice Fulford Investigatory Powers Commissioner for the United Kingdom, Judge in Charge of Reform
Recent developments in criminal law
- Recent cases on Diminished Responsibility: Golds, Blackman, Conroy, Squelch, Wilcocks, Kay, Jones
- Applying the householder defence – Ray
- The continuing saga of Jogee
- Gross negligence manslaughter – significant developments in 2016-7: Sellu, Rudlings, Rose
New for 2017
- Criminal Finances Act
- Policing and Crime Act
Core update: Evidence
- Update on rules relating to hearsay, and bad character,
- Absent witnesses and defendants unfit to participate adequately.
- Gang affiliation evidence
- Expert testimony
- Professor Rudi Fortson QC Barrister, 25 Bedford Row
Core update – Fraud and Business Crime
- Future of UK Law Enforcement
- Criminal Finances Act- New Tax Offences
- Evidence gathering and information-sharing with foreign jurisdictions
Keynote Speech: Updates from the Sentencing Council
- The Right Honourable Lord Justice Treacy Chairman, Sentencing Council of England and Wales
- Lyndon Harris General Editor and Editor, Current Sentencing Practice and Criminal Appeal Reports (Sentencing)
Feature topic 2017: Youth court update
- Deputy Senior District Judge (Chief Magistrate) Tan Ikram Associate Judge HM Court of SBA, Cyprus
Core update – Procedure
- Professor Peter Hungerford-Welch Professor of Law & Assistant Dean, The City Law School
Feature topic 2017: The International Perspective: Mutual Recognition Measures in the Shadow of Brexit
Evidence, people, assets.
- The European Investigation Order – what is it and is it working?
- The European Arrest Warrant – what are the alternatives?
- Freezing and Confiscation Orders – where next for asset recovery?
- Debbie Price Head of International Justice, Deputy Head of the International Justice and Organised Crime Division, Crown Prosecution Service
Feature topic 2017: Vulnerable witnesses: A practical guide
- Pre-recorded cross- examination
- Ground rules hearings
- Advocates tool kits
*Please note the agenda is subject to change
The page will be updated with further details on the agenda once they are confirmed.